Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My Last Night In The US




On my last night before leaving for New York, my little brother was feeling stressed about me leaving, so we decided to have a sleepover in my room. After going to bed well after midnight, I woke up at 4 am and could not fall back to sleep. Maybe it was nerves mixed with excitement, keeping me from my beauty rest; or maybe it was the fact that my little brother slept diagonally in my bed with his feet in my back. Either way, I could not go back to bed. After I took my LAST shower in MY bathroom until July 2015, my little brother, Naasir, and my mom drove me to the airport. Once at the airport, I got checked in, and we made our way to the gate. We all kept our emotions in check until my mom's allergies started kicking in; she suddenly started crying her eyes out, for about 30 seconds. I started to tear up and so did Naasir, but we regained our composure, and our final hug was tearless, warm and exciting. My adventure was finally beginning!!

After boarding, I sat on the small jet, next to a man who was going on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic and Haiti. He told me he was going to be without access to a shower, and covered in mosquito nets for a week. As a HUGE hygiene FREAK, I thought he was so brave; but as I told him about the journey I am embarking on, he told me how impressive and brave I was for leaving home as a high school Junior.

I got off the plane at JFK International Airport, and met the chaperone who would be leading the pre-departure orientation, and also tagging along on the trip to SA. When I arrived at the hotel for the orientation, I met 7 other students who are going to South Africa too! We all came from different backgrounds and hometowns; from Maryland to Oregon, but I made 7 new friends-for-life, in just 10 hours. There was a recent returnee from SA that we were able to bombard with all sorts of questions. I think the most valuable things that she said were: "The value of this entire experience will be based on your attitude", and "keep positive thoughts", because although this experience will be fun, it will also be challenging. I feel like everything I have been taught throughout my life, has prepared me to embrace all that comes with this journey; so her words hit home.

After orientation, I stayed up all night so that I could try to sleep during my 15 hour flight to Johannesburg. Lots of thoughts and feelings to keep my mind occupied...my prayers are up, and I am ready to go!


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Instagram!