Friday, October 17, 2014

Culture In South Africa


I love riding in the car with my host parents. When I get in the car with my host mom, we listen to either pop or Spanish music; in the car with my host dad, he's playing Earth,Wind, & Fire, Bob Marley, or Hip Hop. We are always enjoying some kind of music. 




My Host Dad Gary and I
My Host Mom Lucy and I











My host dad plays Action Cricket and five-a-side soccer. When my host mom and I attend his action cricket games, we act like its baseball (because we are American and don't know anything about cricket). It’s entertaining for us, because we make up what we think is happening through the entire game. After the games, we all have some laughs about it. My host dad and I joke about how American football is real football to me, and soccer is real football to him. I was a cheerleader for American football for 9 years. My little brother has played full contact football since he was 5 (he's now 10), and my dad coaches my little brother's team. American football has been a part of my life forever, and I LOVE that sport. My host dad's argument is, "Football is something played with your feet, not a game where you occasionally kick the ball". It is interesting how culture impacts even the sports we like. 

One of the things I have noticed here, is that I get a ton of compliments on my hair. This is funny because I have always seen my natural hair as nappy (I’m happily nappy); but people here see it as beautiful curls. Hair texture can so often be such a big deal in black/african American culture. The difference here in how hair textures are judged/viewed, is fascinating. People here are also quite amused by my American "accent" (I don't think I have an accent at all).

Car Selfie
I have finally accepted the fact that I am considered "coloured" (of mixed race) in this country, although I am "black" in the U.S. The people here think I am confused about my race when I tell them I am "just black"; so I decided just to accept what they see me as. South Africans are also fascinated by the fact that I don’t know where in Africa my ancestors came from. I try to explain to them that my ancestors didn’t come to America of their own free will, but it is actually a really difficult topic to explain. I assumed everyone in the world knew, and cared about, the history/experiences/plight of black people in America. Now I am finding that people have their own cultures, experiences and histories to be concerned with.

I am currently doing volunteer work at "The Teddy Bear Clinic" for abused children. The Teddy Bear Clinic (TTBC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring abused children are protected and rehabilitated (ttbc.org.za.). I learned about this organization, and the opportunity to volunteer, from Peggy-Sue Khumalo, former "Miss South Africa" ('96), who now works with my host dad in the banking industry. This experience is eye an opening one, because even though I have heard of cases of abused children, I’ve never had to deal with it directly. Roughly 6 million cases of child abuse are reported ANNUALLY in the US. It is very hard to find estimates of child abuse statistics in South Africa, but I am learning that at least 95% of the child abuse cases are sexual in nature. Sexual violence is a HUGE issue in SA. I am humbled and honored to be able to help some of the children affected by this awful state of affairs. This only strengthens my desire to change the world, one life, one step, and one day at a time.
The Teddy Bear Clinic











2 comments :

Instagram!