Monday, October 20, 2014

Lion Park Extravaganza!









Petting Lion Cubs


Anyone who knows me, knows that since I made the decision to study in South Africa, that I have dreamed of laying with the lions! Well, I went to the lion park with my host family! I actually got to interact with the lion cubs; and honestly, it is kind of intimidating at first. I was a little hesitant. You see, The Lion King (one of my favorite movies), set me up for fall. I wanted the lions to be like Simba, but their presence is more like Scar’s. After petting the lion cubs, we saw meerkats in their zoo-like habitat, and then they leave it and go to the lion park (nothing like and American zoo...the animals actually have freedom and the openness of their natural habitat)! We also saw ostriches. Yo, they are NOT an attractive site to see (but they taste good). Then we self-drove through the lion park section. We passed zebras, a giraffe, wildabeast, and spring-bok, before we got to the separate lion section. We went through four separate lion sections. I learned that lions really are VERY lazy. They get up for a second, and then go back to laying down. I got to see some of the prides eating (that's when I discovered why they kept the other animals separate from the lions). I was within a couple feet of each pride we saw. One lion walked right across the front of the car. Although there were HUGE warning signs that said “Keep windows closed at all times,” we kept ours open at all times. I felt very up-close and personal with the lions. 


Take a look at my Youtube channel for footage from my lion filled adventure. 



















1 comment :

Instagram!