Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Food in South Africa





I noticed while grocery shopping that the cereal aisle only has healthy cereal. You won’t find Captain Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or Lucky Charms in a South African grocery store. They do have a "Cocoa Puffs" type of cereal, but it's made of oatmeal and is not unhealthy for you. 
I have been to several different American fast food places here (KFC, McDonalds and Burger King); none of them are the same as they are in America. I prefer South African fast food restaurants like Chicken Licken and Nando’s; they are similar to KFC, but have better quality chicken and other foods. We ate Nando’s the other day, and I had salad and Portuguese dinner rolls. Something like that would never come with meals at fast food restaurants in the States.
My Friends Irene and Guellor at Chicken Licken

I went to a family friend's house over the weekend, who happens to be a vegetarian,and ate a full vegetarian Moroccan meal and didn’t notice that we had no meat with dinner until I left. The food she made was AMAZING, a complete palate of flavor. Lucy made the same dish for dinner tonight but she added chicken and it was just as good. 
Lucy's remake of the Moroccan dish plus chicken 
I’ve also had ostrich meat that Lucy showed me how to prepare. It was very good, I could completely stop eating beef and just eat ostrich meat. Seriously, it is so flavorful and EASY to prepare. It is quick to prepare and it has a perfect taste. Who knew that a bird's meat could look and taste so similar to a cow's? We ate the ostrich with salad and rice.
Ostrich Meat
Milk here only last up to 5 days...I am used to milk lasting for at least a week and a half. I find it to be the weirdest thing that many products here expire the very next day from when it is purchased. I like the fact that there are less preservatives; if I continue to eat like this, my body won’t be so preserved when I die. Food here is not like a McDonalds hamburger in America, it won’t stay the same for years on end. 
It was so good!
Gary and I ate a triple chocolate dessert with layers of chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse, and chocolate ganache. We got it at my favorite grocery store, Woolworths. Can you tell which side my host dad Gary ate?

2 comments :

  1. Hi Niani,
    Glad that you are adjusting to healthier eating habits! You will have a lot to teach us when you return 

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Food looks delicious! Learn to make them so you can prepare them for us when you come home!! ����

    ReplyDelete

Instagram!