Saturday, December 20, 2014

Let's Break Stereotypes

I am beginning to think that the best way to combat stereotypes, is by laughing at them. Stereotypes will always exist, so I try not to be so offended by them. I have seen so many flaws, and so much harm, in stereotypes, that laughter has become my best medicine.


The term “packed like Mexicans”, which is commonly used in the States, could easily be turned into “packed like Africans”.
African people will put 30 people on a 16 seater taxi, and they will stand on a bucky (small pick up truck) to make sure everyone fits. I don’t know if I should view this as foolish or kind. People have died because of the way they arrange themselves in vehicles, but it also allows everyone to get from point A to point B without making several trips, which saves petrol money. Necessity makes you do things that may not be viewed as safe, smart, or ideal...but sometimes there is no viable alternative. I'm learning not to judge.

One of the American stereotypes that is considered offensive, is that black people LOVE chicken. I am going to venture to say that this is generally quite true! I think it is inherited from our ancestors. Black people here love chicken, and I do too. Again, it makes me laugh to think that people use this as an insult; are Italians offended if we say they love pasta? 

I have yet to see an Asian woman doing nails in South Africa. I only had my nails done by a black person once in the States. I guess it really depends on where you are in the world with this one! 

Pedro is not going to be your gardner here; he will be Thabo,  the black South African that travels from a township everyday just to serve you. Your busboy won’t be Juan, he will be Remember (Black South Africans have a thing about naming their children odd English names that translate into really pretty African names). Maybe the stereotype I should believe is that people just love to stereotype other cultures...it must make them feel better about themselves.

Africa is not a nature reserve; Africa HAS nature reserves. I am not afraid that a lion will come in my backyard at night, or that a giraffe will be eating the leaves off of the palm trees when I leave for school in the morning. Americans have a certain perspective of ‘Africa’ that is not realistic. Africa is a continent and it is HUGE; bigger than any small minded American could possibly imagine. 

My favorite stereotype: Ebola in Africa!
People in the States often ask my mother "aren’t you worried about Niani?”. I’m sure she is more concerned about the well being of herself and my family in America, because it is not even in the country I am living in. Ebola is nearly 4,000 miles (6,437.376 Kilometers) away from where I live in South Africa. Yet there have been cases roughly 700 miles (about 1,126 km) from my family in Chicago. So no, my mom is not concerned about me catching Ebola. To my family and friends in the States, be careful because Ebola has reached much closer to you, than to me. (LBVS)

Africa is the world’s most mineral rich continent. Like for real, its soil has diamonds and gold underneath it. So no, Africa is not just the poor black children with flies around them like we see in commercials in the States. I’ve never seen so many Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Porsches, in my life. BMWs, Range Rovers, and Mercedes Benz are the NORM in cities in South Africa. These cars are mostly owned by prominent black people here.
Yes, Africa also has some of the poorest people, of any continent on Earth, but as I stated in a previous blog post, our idea of what that looks like is somewhat skewed. Americans find it hard to imagine, but many people are content with their lives in villages. Westernized standards are not what everyone dreams of. 
African people are rich in many other ways. Money is not everything. They are rich in ancestry and tradition. The closest most Americans get to seeing what that means, is in the Lion King; it shows that aspect of Africa, but I never really noticed it until now. They had a traditional ceremony when Simba was born, and Mufasa explains to Simba that the kings before him will always be there to guide him. This is not a belief that is instilled in black children in America. I’m grateful that I have a family that does as much as they can to teach me, my siblings, and cousins about the African traditions that they know about; it has given me an advantage in the world. I believe that African mothers are the most loving mothers on the planet. They might not have many material things to offer their children, but they show them an abundance of love and I am sure their children are fully aware of their mothers' love and care. I come from that type of love, and it is so eye opening for me to see where that comes from ancestrally. 

Less stereotypes...more love!

google.co.za


1 comment :

Instagram!