Sunday, January 18, 2015

Names

My name means joyful and I try to live up to my name. I was recently given the South African name Lethabo which means joy. African names are a big deal in my family. My cousins, my little brother, my mom and uncles all have have African names. Naasir (means defender), Amira (princess), Nyatu (tiger fighter,strong), Jamilah (beautiful), and Tykari (adventurous). I think each of our names describe us in some way. If I ever had children, they would also have African names. They are so unique and beautiful. I admire my family for giving us African names even though we don’t know much about the specific origins of our African roots. Each of us have had a naming ceremony. My grandma taught me that "choosing a child’s name is a very important matter. In African societies, a person’s name is an essential element of his/her spiritual anatomy. It is thought that a child’s name can determine his/her success in life. Therefore, in recognition of its important function, a special ceremony should be held for the purpose of naming the child.”

My Mom, Grandma, And Great Grandmother At A Naming Ceremony

Baby Niani/Lethabo


P.S. I want to get a tattoo of my SA'n name with an African Elephant. I'll wait until I'm 18 but it's bound to happen. Shhhhh, don't tell my mom.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Instagram!