Monday, September 22, 2014

Culture



Pretoria, South Africa 






I am in awe of the cultural and physical differences here. The first thing I noticed when I arrived, was the lack of green grass here. There is none! You have some sidewalks, but mostly dirt paths. The roads are all paved, but that is it. I live in a city, so we walk around everywhere, even though we have a car. Resources here are a big deal, so even though my family isn't poor, they conserve their resources. By the time I get home, my skin is gritty, and I have dust all over my clothes.

Technology is not anywhere near what I was used to at home. An iPhone is basically nonexistent here. The average smartphone is a Blackberry. People use technology more sparingly, and care a lot less about what is going on in the lives of strangers. In some ways and around certain people, me being an American is a novelty, and a fun topic of discussion; but in public places and on public transportation, I have to speak as little as possible and try not to carry anything that will display that I am an American. Thieves think of Americans as rich, and good targets.

The terminology here is very different, as well. Traffic lights are called robots. Everyone says things like, "now, now", meaning "later", and " I am going to fetch you now", meaning "I am going to pick you up now."

Cars are driven on the left side of the road, and their driving skills/styles are scary! We have to be very conscious of what we wear, and even where we look, because we don't want to attract attention from men. My host mom said when men say, " Hey sister, you are so beautiful! I love you", to just say "thank you", and keep moving. At times I worry, because I fear doing something unconsciously or out of American habit, that will draw unwanted attention; but I just keep on keeping on.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Instagram!