Monday, September 22, 2014

Food in South Africa!

The first day I met my host family, my sister, Patricia, cooked cow intestines in a thick stew. Needless to say, it was very different; so I didn't eat much of it, but I was willing to try it. The next day we went to McDonald's. McDonald's is so different here. They have a pop called McFizz, with either watermelon flavour or Lychee flavour. I haven't tried it yet but I cannot wait to taste it!

Patricia and my mom made chicken, rice, and spinach the next day. The chicken taste like the chicken in chicken biriyani, which is one of my favorite dishes. My mom was so surprised that I knew about Indian food and spices. In my family, they don't refrigerate food they just keep it on the stove and reheat it the next day. It gets cold in the house at night so I think that is what preserves the food long enough to eat it over a few days. Pap is a popular food here. It is a really heavy porridge that you can eat with any meal. There is brown pap and white pap. The white one is very bland and taste like flavorless grits. The brown one, I am told, is suppose to be eaten as a more traditional food, but my mom prefers that one, so Patricia always makes both. The brown one is more wheat like and has a little more flavor. Pap is a "stable" food, meaning it is inexpensive and very filling, so it is used to supplement smaller portions of more expensive dishes, like meat. Soil is also a common snack food. My family eats it the way we eat chips in America. I'm still deciding how I feel about it, but I have tried it more than once.

I am adjusting to the foods, and enjoying the fact that it is so different from what I would eat in America.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Instagram!