Friday, November 14, 2014

School is Cool

I recently started some introductory time at my new school. Due to the timing of my arrival in South Africa, and my change of host families and locations, I was enrolled during the annual exam period. Things are a bit hectic, and rather intense, because everyone is studying and fiercely focused on exams. I am able to participate in exams in a strictly preparatory fashion. I am getting a chance to see what exams will be like for me next year. The new school term starts in January and runs through November. The school I attend is an International school, that operates on the Cambridge system. There are several levels (or categories) of courses that students can take. There are foundational (developmental/high school prep) courses, O-levels (standard high school classes), and A-levels (similar to American Advanced Placement, but more closely structured to a college format and curriculum). I will be taking A-levels. Performing to the required standard here, will mean that I will be finished with high school when I return to the States. Since the school year is completely off cycle from American schools, I will have a whole semester before I can begin college, when I get home. I will be spending that time starting my own non-profit organization (so stay tuned). I have learned a lot more about what it is to give back, and be dedicated to helping my fellow man, since I have been in SA. I know that committing myself to giving to others, as much as has been given to me, is an essential part of my duty in life; but I digress. 
In most South African schools, students wear uniforms. At my school, the Foundational and O-Level students have to wear uniforms.  As an A-Level student, I won’t have to. I was initially very excited about this. Sadly, this is South Africa and not America, and the students here dress quite nicely for school. I would prefer to wear sweats to school, because I think I am more focused on my studies when I am comfortable, and not worrying about impressing anyone with how well I dress. This, however, would not be acceptable in a South African school. So I will be dressing nicely each day.
My school has a pet peacock, named Gerald! I was shocked to walk in one morning, and find him in the foyer just hanging out. He walks around like he owns the place! This school is very different than the first school I attended in SA. It is a private school, but has no religious ties. The first school I went to was a public/government school. Nearly all the students were from the local area, and they were, almost exclusively, black (I was one of only a few coloured students). There was church, run by the students, each day during lunch. I found it interesting how there is no separation between church and state in SA. 

Gerald the Peacock!
My new school is very culturally diverse. I’m not the only expatriate in the school; in fact, international students are quite common. 
I am eager to see what school will be like, once the new term begins. So far, I am enamored with the beauty of the campus, the uniqueness of the environment, and the idea of being a "senior"!! I am going to have to work extremely hard to adjust to a completely different curriculum and teaching style than what I am used to. The classes I will be taking are going to be very rigorous. I am prepared for the challenge!
Meanwhile, much of South Africa is now preparing to go on holiday. Schools, and many businesses, close for anywhere from a month, to two months. People here work very hard, and they take their holiday VERY seriously. Although I will be studying, in preparation for the next term, I do plan to enjoy many aspects of my South African holiday! 


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Instagram!